Heath W. Lowry is the Atatürk Professor of Ottoman & Modern Turkish Studies, Emeritus, at Princeton University. Prior to his arrival at Princeton in 1993, he was a founding member of the History Department at the Bosphorus University in İstanbul, Turkey (1973–1980), and a Senior Research Associate at Harvard University’s Dumbarton Oaks Research Library & Collection in Washington, D.C. (1980–1983). Between 1983 and 1993 he established and directed the Institute of Turkish Studies in Washington, D.C. Together with his position at Princeton University, he serves as an Advisor to the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of Bahçeşehir University in İstanbul, Turkey.
As of May 2010 he joined the faculty of Bahçeşehir University as a Distinguished Visiting Professor. He is the director of a newly-formed Center for Ottoman Era Studies, a co-operative program between Bahçeşehir University and the Mohamed Ali Institute in Kavala, Greece, designed to co-ordinate a wide variety of activities relating to the common cultural heritage of Turkey, Greece, and the Arab world. He also offers an annual seminar at Bahçeşehir which will focus on the Ottoman Balkans (1352–1923).